Re: 1 wire temperature monitoring

Nigel

Luckily for me the wife loves the Saturns and DLTs

Ben

On 4 Jan 2009, at  15:46, Nigel Giddings wrote:

> Hi Ben,
>
> I too use C-Bus for lighting control. SWMBO did not like the look
of=20=20
> those fancy C-Bus wall plates hence the more traditional looking=20=20
> switches with C-Bus Couplers behind them...
>
> Nigel

<http://groups.yah=
oo.com/group/ukha_d/files/Corbenic/=20

> > One is a picture of a typical light switch in my house. All the
> > light switches are double gang with either 4 retractive switches
or
> > 3 and a 'hole' for the DS1820. The picture is of a 3 gang plate
with
> > the hole in the 'Study'. Each room has one light switch plate
with a
> > ds1820 fitted. More ds1820s are placed in hidden locations, or as
in
> > the basement just hanging from the ceiling...
> >
> > I did not mount the ds1820's in any form of grommet they are just
> > floating there using the tension of the CAT5e to hold them in
> > position from behind. The ds1820s are round with a flat side but
> > this does not notice (at least to my eyes).
> >
> > The issues here are: is the wall plate acting as a heat sink and
> > reducing the response of the device? Optimum thermostat position
is
> > not typically the same place as the light switch, and of course
> > personal choice as far as aesthetics.
> >
> > The second file is a PDF showing the position of some of the
ds1820s
> > and the cable run for the basement and Gnd floor. As I mentioned
> > have used CAT5e. I have wired in such a way that the devices are
> > across the wires and all wiring is in series. You will also see
> > reference to 8 way connector blocks with screws (shown as red
boxes
> > on the PDF) which are the house alarm variety from Maplin. This
are
> > a bit of a PITA to install, lots of wiring, so would probably use
> > punch down version if I were doing it again.
> >
> > The idea is that the GND connection comes into the Junction Box
on
> > the Green and Brown pairs, goes up the branch on the Green pair
and
> > returns on the Brown pair to the ongoing Green and Brown pairs to
> > the next Junction Box. That way I do not end up with long spurs,
all
> > the wiring is in series. I do similar with the Vdd and DQ lines,
> > thereby not relying on parasitic power. Hope this makes sense.
> >
> > The ds1820s are wired as shown in the PDF and I use heat shrink
> > isolate the legs with an overall wrap to give it some strength.
> > Because the holes in the wall plates are just big enough for the
> > ds1820s the overall heat shrink stops the thermostat pulling
through
> > the hole.
> >
> > You can see I have noted the serial numbers on the drawings so
that
> > they can be easily identified during setup in Homeseer, I use the
> > mcsTemperature plugin.
> >
> > Any more questions just shout.
> >
> > Nigel

[mailto:=
ukha_d@xxxxxxx=20
] On
> > Behalf Of Ben McCormack
> > Sent: 03 January 2009 20:08
> > To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx <mailto:ukha_d%40yahoogroups.com>
> > Subject: Re: [ukha_d] 1 wire temperature monitoring
> >
> > Nigel
> >
> > Thanks for sharing this.
> >
> > Our house currently has many holes in walls and ceilings and I
have
> > been thinking about 1-wire for temperature monitoring. This
hub=20=20
> seems
> > perfect.
> >
> > I do have a couple of questions
> >
> > How do you mount the sensors around the house? Has anyone found
> > anything easy to use?
> >
> > I assume I you use Cat5 cable to loop into and out of each
sensor. I
> > guess you 'splice' the sensor onto the Cat5 cable at a
suitable=20=20
> point?
> >
> > Ben
> >
> > On 3 Jan 2009, at 15:33, Nigel Giddings wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I have been looking at extending my 1-wire temperature=20=20
> monitoring in
> > > the house. 1-wire was never designed for long cable lengths
and
> > > begins to suffer reflections if the cables get too long...
well I
> > > have reached that point.
> > >
> > > I want to monitor some of the H/W pipes to things like the
showers
> > > and baths, to trigger towel rail heating and also
temperatures on
> > > the heat exchanger to see if it actually exchanges heat as
well=20=20
> as a
> > > couple more room and equipment rack probes....
> > >
> > > However, I have run up against the cable length issue.
> > >
> > > What I have found is a Hub that effectively separates three
daisy
> > > chains of sensors to enable three lengths of cable with
sensors.

> > > http://www.homechip.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=3D22&products_=
id=3D109=20
>  <http://www.homechip.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=3D22&products_id=
=3D109=20

> > <http://www.homechip.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=3D22&products_i=
d=3D109 <http://www.homechip.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=3D22&produc=
ts_id=3D109=20

> > > What is also nice about this is that it connects to the PC
via
> > > Ethernet so you can remotely position it wherever you
have=20=20
> Ethernet
> > > connectivity, even over the internet....
> > >
> > > I intend to use with Homeseer with a plug-in called
Ultra1wire=20=20
> to do
> > > all the leg work and place the data into virtual devices
in=20=20
> Homeseer
> > > which can then be used however I want.
> > >
> > > http://forums.homeseer.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3D854
<http://forums.ho=
meseer.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3D854=20
> > <http://forums.homeseer.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3D854
<http://forums.hom=
eseer.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3D854=20

> > > ($29.95)
> > >
> > > They are in stock, spoke with them today, and will
probably=20=20
> order 1
> > > on Monday (=A399 + VAT + P&P =A37)
> > >
> > > Just thought I would pass it by the list to see if any other
> > > alternatives exist....
> > >
> > > Nigel

>=20

Limited Time Offer - Free iPhone VAT Calculator
http://berble.com/index.php/component/content/article/109