RE: Stepping up 120v - 240v - can the Hz be converted too?

  • Subject: RE: Stepping up 120v - 240v - can the Hz be converted too?
  • From: "Nigel Giddings" <nigel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2009 11:13:11 -0000

Load on the Grid will affect frequency of the mains, however they do
have an obligation to keep mains synchronized clocks relatively
accurate, within 20 seconds at 0800 every day.

I had a long chat with the power engineer at a sewage farm open day 30
years ago... They produced much of their own power from methane and
sometimes disconnected themselves from the grid. They also sold excess
to the grid from time to time. He had 4 clocks that he had to monitor,
GMT, Site Time, Grid Time and a fourth showing the difference in
seconds. He could change the clocks on site (slightly) by disconnecting
from the grid and adjusting the frequency of the power he produced....

Some more info here

http://www.vf.utwente.nl/~ptdeboer/misc/mains.html

*	On short term (seconds to hours), several mechanisms are
employed that continuously try to keep the frequency as close as
possible to 50.0000 Hz, but that do not consider the phase (i.e., clock
error).
*	As long as the deviation between the true time and the time
indicated by a mains-driven clock is less than 20 seconds, observed at 8
o'clock in the morning, no further measures are taken.
*	When that deviation exceeds 20 seconds, a correction is
scheduled: during the next day (from midnight to midnight) frequency
regulators in the entire zone will be set to 10 mHz higher or lower than
the normal 50.0000 Hz. Ideally, this results in a correction of 17.28
seconds.
*	The above should normally keep the deviation within about 30
seconds. Only if the deviation exceeds 60 seconds are larger corrections
than 10 mHz allowed.