Re: [OT] Change of Mother board now PC won't boot into XP

Why not use a wireless socket, like Bye Bye Standby or similar, to
switch off power to the TV that isn't currently being used?

Geoff

Nigel Giddings wrote:
> The Saga continues.
>

> Following on from all the suggestions and making no further progress I
decided to go for the PSU yesterday, £24.99 from Maplins... The only
ones I have in the PC graveyard don't have 24 Pin connectors or the
additional 12V 4 way plug for the CPU...

> Changed the PSU and exactly the same problem! In desperation I have
changed back to the original MoBo with the new PSU... This is now going
through the POST and displaying the results, the same issue as the new
MoBo... Grrrr....

> Looks as if it may have been PSU related, I haven't swapped back to
the original PSU yet to verify with the original board.

> I am tempted to swap CPU now as one of the few remaining things that
have not been disconnected/replaced. I believe I have another AM2 CPU in
another PC....

> As you can tell I am clutching at straws now...
>

> Any reason why I should not change CPU, I don't want two damaged
CPUs....

> Nigel

Iles
> Sent: 10 February 2009 23:01
> To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: [ukha_d] [OT] Change of Mother board now PC won't boot
into XP

> Download and burn an ISO of Ubuntu / distribution of your choice to
see if
> it boots?
>
> (Assumes 2nd working PC with DVD/CD burner)

> 2009/2/10 Nigel Giddings <nigel@xxxxxxx <mailto:nigel%40corbenic.co.uk>
>

>> The DVD is from the action pack....

 <ukha_d%40yahoogroups.com> [mailto:
>> ukha_d@xxxxxxx <mailto:ukha_d%40yahoogroups.com>
 <ukha_d%40yahoogroups.com>] On Behalf
>> Of Paul Gale
>> Sent: 10 February 2009 08:10
>> To: 'ukha_d@xxxxxxx <mailto:%27ukha_d%40yahoogroups.com>
 <%27ukha_d%40yahoogroups.com>'
>> Subject: RE: [ukha_d] [OT] Change of Mother board now PC won't
boot into
>> XP
>>
>> Don't know if it's relevant but I have had problems with some DVD
drives
>> not reading my MS install DVD's (from the MS action pack
installers) -
>> must be a DVD compatibility issue.
>>
>> Paul.

 <ukha_d%40yahoogroups.com>
>>> Subject: RE: [ukha_d] [OT] Change of Mother board now PC won't
boot
>>> into XP
>>>
>>> The boot failure from DVD is very suspicious, as it suggests
that
>>> either
>>> it's not actually attempting to boot from the DVD or that the
DVD

>> isn't
>>
>>> actually a bootable disc (which as Vista install disc
certainly should
>>> be).
>>>
>>> Did you get the message "Press any key to boot from the
CD"? (And if
>>> you
>>> did, did you press a key before the timeout period?)
>>>
>>> Are you sure that the DVD drive is included in the boot
sequence list
>>> in the
>>> BIOS?
>>>
>>> I'd leave the HDD disconnected until you manage to get a
successful

>> DVD
>>
>>> boot. There could be all sorts of driver issues booting from
the HDD
>>> until
>>> you've managed to either repair or re-install the OS over the
top.

>>> Steve Morgan

BIOS and
>>> booting from DVD using a good VISTA install DVD but I get the
message
>>> DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK etc.
>>>

>>> FYI there are no PCI cards installed either, just the MoBo,
FDD