Sonos - It just works!! Does what it says on the tin.

  • Subject: Sonos - It just works!! Does what it says on the tin.
  • From: Ben McCormack <yahoogroup@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2009 19:03:28 +0000

All

Thought I would write a quick overview of my new purchase. I have
just=20=20
picked up a Sonos BU150 bundle, this includes 2 zone players and=20=20
Controller.

I am planning to put about 4-6 Sonos zones in the house and may=20=20
eventually link it with Comfort, Homeseer and cbus but I have not=20=20
looked into this yet.

So after using it for a couple of hours what is my view?

I did have some networking issues to begin with. I think this has=20=20
something to do with DHCP and IP conflicts. I got these resolved and=20=20
everything has been running well since then.

I thought you needed Sonos software running on the music server but=20=20
this is not the case. You use the software (I am on Mac) to setup
some=20=20
shares and then Sonos deals with it from there.

The Sonos Controller is nice and solid but the display is not looking=20=20
that modern thee days. Overall a good piece of kit that does its job.=20=20
No more and no less.

I have also played with the Sonos controller for iPhone. This is a=20=20
nice application that gives easy simple control of Sonos.

Moving forward I am not sure what Controller I will use throughout
the=20=20
house. Sonos or iPod touch.

My view so far is very simple. Sonos does what it says on the tin.=20=20
Multizone music with very little hassle. My wife has picked it up
very=20=20
easily and is now sitting in the lounge playing music we have not=20=20
listened to for ages.

Another good thing I have found is the Napster Music service. Sonos=20=20
comes with a 30 day free trial. It gives you access to over 7 million=20=20
tracks. You can do cool things like looking up an artist you like and=20=20
then asking it to add 20 tracks to your playlist that are similar and=20=20
you should like. I think it costs =A310 per month and I am thinking
of=20=20
keeping it past the free trial.

I can also play internet radio through Sonos which is another benefit.

All of my HA plans have been based around best of breed that juts=20=20
works. I don't want to be home brewing and bleeding edge. So far
Sonos=20=20
fits this model very well.

One parting thought. I come form a Data centre IT Management=20=20
background and the home is moving more and more in this direction. I=20=20
now have at least 15 DHCP addresses in use at any one time. Managing=20=20
this is becoming a higher and higher overhead, with servers,=20=20
networking etc etc.

Planning and considering Changes to the environment requires thought.

Sorry if this is rambling but I wanted to share my views.

Ben