From: ukha_d@xxxxxxx [mailto:ukha_d@xxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
Ben McCormack
Sent: 05 February 2009 11:22
To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ukha_d] Adding CCTV

Sounds like Geovision could be the way to go.

I have also found an Axis video server that fits the bill
http://www.axis.com/products/cam_241qa/index.htm
but it is around =A3700.

I do have some concerns on Geovision

1. It will need another dedicated PC. I was trying to be PC free and just a
Mac server but now need Homeseer PC and Geovision.
2. Not sure about Geovision detecting motion. I don't want to confuse
matters. Comfort will fill that function for me.

Paul - My choices are partially down to you!

Ben

On 5 Feb 2009, at  10:48, Paul Gordon wrote:

> Absolutely! - piece of the proverbial p*ss with comfort...
>
> Connect up the bell-press switch to comfort as an input, connect up=20
> the contact sensor on the door to comfort as an input. I even have
a=20
> PIR in the porch facing the front path, so I sense approaching=20
> visitors a little before they actually reach the door - this gives
a=20
> little extra time for processing logic, and thus a more
"immediate"=20
> response...
>
> Comfort then knows:
> - when someone is approaching the door, before they get there=20
> (regardless of whether they rang the bell or not)
> - when the doorbell is pressed.
> - when the door is opened.
> - when the door is closed.
>
> note that I have a PIR immediately inside *AND* outside the front=20
> door, so if I could be *rsed to deduce the logic & write the code,
I=20
> could do all kinds of clever things based on whether the door was=20
> opened in response to a caller, or because an occupant is leaving
the=20
> house etc.
>
> Once that information is in comfort, you can do anything in
response=20
> to it that comfort can do. This includes switching CCTV cameras,
and=20
> there used to be numerous examples of this of the Comfort web site.
It=20
> would be utter simplicity to have it power on the camera - you
would=20
> need to take care of ensuring that whatever CCTV system you have in=20
> place can respond appropriately; - i.e. as soon as it starts
receiving=20
> video from that camera, it needs to start recording... It also
needs=20
> to not complain about "lost feed" when you power the camera
down=20
> again...
>
> In my case, I use comfort to do some of the things that it is best
at=20
> (turn on porch lights if its dark etc.), but I also communicate
these=20
> conditions immediately into Homeseer via the comfort-homeseer
plugin,=20
> and do additional logic there, including sending an email to my=20
> mailbox, pausing any playing SONOS zones if the bell is pressed,
etc.=20
> (It could also provide TTS announcements over any/all SONOS zones if I
> wanted...)
>
> I also have a CCTV camera at the front door, but that currently is
not=20
> fully integrated into the above. It is connected to a GeoVision=20
> server, which has motion detection (with complete freedom to mask=20
> areas of the image etc.) so this automatically records when someone=20
> approaches the door, and emails me a still. (I could also have it=20
> upload the still to an FTP site etc.) GeoVision have some I/O
modules=20
> available that can be triggered by the motion detection, so I plan
to=20
> fit one or two of these and connect its output channels to comfort=20
> inputs so it will then be able to signal comfort as soon as
movement=20
> is detected by any camera (one channel per camera allows me to tell=20
> comfort exactly which camera has seen motion). This effectively
will=20
> allow me to use the cameras as additional comfort sensors, with=20
> *excellent* discrimination in the detection area (far easier than=20
> trying to tune a PIR to only see movement in a specified area).
Then=20
> the detection of movement by a camera will become a comfort
trigger,=20
> and can instigate any comfort (and thus additionally Homeseer)=20
> response that I want.
>
> Once the in-beta Homeseer Touch software is available, that would=20
> include the ability to push out a customised screen display with=20
> either a still, or streamed live feed from the CCTV, and any log=20
> information that you want, - exactly as described in your question.
>
> You could also pass the info from Homeseer into xAP/xPL and use
that=20
> to drive any number of additional display devices around the house.
I=20
> don't know if there are any direct Comfort-xAP/xPL interfaces=20
> available (I'm not aware of any), but a UCM-xAP/xPL would be a
useful=20
> device I think...
>
> BTW: Your choices are all good ones:-
>
> CBUS - Just works
> Comfort - Just works
> SONOS - Just works
> Homeseer - If you do it *properly* it pretty much also does
"just=20
> work"
> with a fairly high degree of reliability (IME).
>
> HTH
>
> Paul G.

Opened=20