Re: What did Santa Bring?

On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 2:31 PM, Phil Harris <phil@xxxxxxx>
wrote:

> [...]
because it was so
> noisy and so hot running so ended up loaning it to a friend...

It's hard for me to tell as I haven't experienced the previous
"rotund" version.
However, it is much, much quieter than my classic xbox and probably a
bit less heat too.

>> Boo - ...with 3x Singstar games :-/
>
> Ouch! Never mind - WipeOut is available as a download so you don't
have to
> go out to a shop to get a decent game to start you off...

Thanks. It came bundled with Quantum of Solace (game), but also the
Blu-Ray version of Basic Instinct. I'll let you know how *that* goes
;-)

The bundled HDMI cable is pretty naff, however. Although the PS3 is
1080p and my Sony LCD is 1080p there are sparklies at this resolution.
1080i seems fine but I guess that's half the data rate.

The other current issue is controlling the PS3 from the TV remote. The
power on/off via HDMI works fine but I'm struggling with the Bravia
Link bit. Nothing on the Sony site so I've logged a helpdesk query.
Since the PS3 is going to be hidden away I'd rather not have to fork
out on another remote, or use the game pad thing for DVDs.

Other than that I'm very pleased. I've yet to set up all of the "media
centre" bits (photos, movies, etc.) as music is currently handled via
Xlobby and a VGA-in to the LCD.

Cheers,

Tim.