Re: [OT] Transferring MCE MP3/WMA to iPhone?

Hi Rob,
One thing I would add to all the posts so far is to watch out with a
nice little option in iTunes Preferences, on the Advanced tab there's a
'Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to Library'. I have found
that if that is checked (the default I think) then you will get a
duplicate set of your media.

I already have my files stored in named directories with file names
based on combinations of MP3 ID tags that I wanted to keep, and as such
didn't want iTunes moving / recopy them into 'its' way of doing things.
If you make sure that it isn't ticked and drag over your top level
folder to iTunes it will just go off and create an index based on its
searches without copying / moving files anywhere.

The other thing to watch for is the 'Organise Library' (off 'File -
Library' menu)- as this will again look at what it has indexed and
're-arrange' your HD to suit :)

When I first had my iPod Touch and set up iTunes (after importing my
library), iTunes was intelligent enough to realise that my device
couldn't take all my songs so it automatically created a play list and
only sync that to the iPod. You can get at this when your i* is docked
by clicking on the device under the 'devices' menu on the left and going
onto the Music tab. If the wizard figured this bit out - you should have
gained a 'Robs Partner's iPod Selection' playlist already - just
populate that playlist with your tunes you want to take.

HTH.
Wayne.

( oh this was with iTunes 9.0.25 - the latest I think)

Rob Iles wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Apologies for the OT - really should google it myself, just hoping to
cheat
> and take advantage of the collective knowledge here, in order to get
some
> sleep!
>
> Partner got herself an iPhone. On Orange, if it matters. 16GB.
>
> I have several 100 CDs ripped to Win7 MCE PC. (mostly MP3 VBR, IIRC).
Can