RE: Dimmable LED's for CBUS

There is less off axis light with LEDs, so while directional dichrics
or
whatever halogens you have may be ok for room lighting now, the LEDs seldom
are.

=20

There are many impossible lux/beam angle/wattage claims coming out of china
on those MR16 retrofit halogens =96 like the 1 watt replacement for 35 etc.
Keep in mind they will be comparing with a crap 35 watt MR16, possibly even
a GU10 one that=92s rather orange and lousy efficacy.

=20

Cree make the chips =96 random Chinese factorys put them into housings they
usually buy from someone else, so just like ebay CCTV cameras, 2 that look
the same can be quite different performing. Half of the HongKong/Shenzhen
sellers are just people that have a stand in one of the large electronics
malls there and don=92t really know their products at all. There are some
t=
hat
do, like sure electronics and similar, but they tend to specialize and
seldom have the MR16 replacements =96 I guess they know that they are
prett=
much all junk.

=20

The only ones I have tried that actually dim are some line level R93 ones
that don=92t have smoothing caps in them. Since they don=92t have caps,
the=
flicker badly even at full brightness. They were promising some that dimmed
smoothly based on the PWM angle from the conventional mains dimmer, but IMO
duplicating many little power supplies across lampholders just so you can
drop in the lamps is a foolish economy.

=20

I expect that things will change shortly with some larger manufacturers
starting to show an interest in it, but for now all the cheap retrofits are
no way suitable as replacements for incandescent MR16=92s if you don=92t
wa=
nt to
put in more fittings. The ones that can light a room are about 5w and have
minimal directionality, and the spot ones will do an excellent job lighting
some art or pottery etc, but not to light the room. Mix and match and you
may have a solution.

=20

=20