Re: All-in-one PC/TV

  • Subject: Re: All-in-one PC/TV
  • From: "ianh1000" <ianh1000@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2009 19:13:50 -0000

Hi Paul,

I guess it depends how much work you want to do your self and how reliable
you want it to be.

I have been trying to get the family to use some of the kit I had installed
including a kiosk PC that a lot on this list use. My problem has generaly
been change control. The family always assume it will work the way it did
last time they used it, and I kept changing things so they stopped using
it.

The HP Touchsmart machines are very cool, I have just installed a couple
linked ot a mediasmart server. You do pay a bit extra for all that
integration work and touch interface, I guess it depends on what you are
happy to pay.

I have also linked up a TV with the DLNA connection so that I can stream
media, again this works to a fashion but it needs a lot of work for the
family to be happy to use it.

I hope that in the not too distant future we can have a low power home
server and more inteligent displays about the house that connect to it and
just work!

Regards
Ian

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, Jim Noble <yahoo-groups@...> wrote:

> Pauls Hotmail wrote:
> > Using this, I would automatically power off things like the
screen & PC (the
> > current PC still draws about 15W even when supposedly turned
OFF!). This
> > would be controlled by Comfort so these "standby
devices" downstairs
> > automatically get switched fully off at night when we've all gone
to bed,
> > and standby power is restored when the 1st person gets up the
following
> > morning, so that the devices are all there ready & waiting to
be used
> > conveniently by their remotes... -
>
> Alternatively get a PC that has a sensible standby/off power usage?
eg.
> the Fit-PC2 mentioned in the xmbc thread consumes less than that 15W
> running at full pelt...
>
> > That's the one thing that arses me off
> > about the green lobby telling me to turn everything off at the
wall at
> > night... firstly its usually bl00dy difficult to get to the mains
switch,
> > and secondly, I can't then use the remote to turn things on in
the morning
> > without getting out of bed... - Isn't automation supposed to rid
us of this
> > "slave to the machine" paradigm? - the greens seem to
want us to go back to