Re: Threat to the radio spectrum from PLA/PLT devices and Smart Meters

Sorry, a legal challenge to what?

Aren't all devices supposed to accept interference regardless of if it
causes undesired effects or not?

Doing a quick search I find statements like

"PowerLine Network Adapters cause terrible radio interference and are
also completely unnecessary and very probably illegal" and

"This has nothing to do with Internet access or being connected - no
one needs power line ethernet to use the Internet, a home network or
even the BT Vision system."

The big complaint as I see it isn't so much the devices themselves,
it's the fact that mains wiring isn't shielded and acts like a big
antenna.

Their entire attitude seems to be "It harms us and there is no need
for it at all." followed my a large amount of stamping of feet like a
3 year old having a tantrum.

Andy

On 8 Dec 2009, at 23:36, Tracey Gardner wrote:

> The following is precised from Radcom, The Radio Society of Great
> Britain's magazine.
> It follows on from my recent comments on Smart Meters and PLA/PLT
>
> Tracey
>

> The Radio Society of Great Britain (RSGB) recently announced that
> they are seeking legal opinion with regards to Ofcom's interpretation
> of the various acts and directives that cover PLA/PLT and the threat
> that they pose. They have been prompted to do this by reports and
> complaints from members and non-members of interference to amateur
> radio operation from PLA devices and their own investigations have
> shown that this interference almost makes operating on the lower
> amateur bands impossible. They are also conscious that other
> 'wireless' devices are coming along that could also affect the bands,
> including Smart metering and Smart grid. By 2020 all homes in the UK
> will be fitted with Smart meters that will monitor energy usage.
> Radio amateurs need to ensure that they are given a level playing
> field to protect the spectrum that they enjoy. First and foremost
> the RSGB is a representative body and it is in this role that they
> raise
> this legal challenge on behalf of the UK  amateur radio community

---

Andy Powell / ScaredyCat / FuzzyCat

Twitter: http://twitter.com/ScaredyCat
Blog: http://blog.automated.it