Re: Re: UK energy smart meter roll-out is outlined

I agree. When I lived in S Africa years ago, during a major drought
the
water company mounted a highly successful 'save water' campaign - so
successful that they were forced to increase prices by large amounts
over the next few years when there was no drought but consumption had
dropped dramatically and with it their profits.

Regards
Martin

Martin Howell
ICT Project Consultant
07949 138454

Grizelli Associates Limited
working in partnership with Northgate Information Systems

Keith wrote:
> I dont think you are being cynical at all. We are all going to pay one
way or another :(

> The whole purpose of a company being in business is to make money. It
is generally accepted that every year a company should make more money than
the year before.

> The three ways to make more money are....
>
> 1. reduce your costs - they have already been doing that
>
> 2. sell more *product* at the same profit margin thereby increasing
more turnover and profit

> 3. sell the same amount of *product* but increase the price and
thereby turnover and profit.

> Now maybe *I'M* being cynical, but everything the energy companies are
trying to do will result in them selling LESS therefore they have to
increase the price to maintain the existing profit, and to actually
increase profit they need to increase the price.

> The sneaky way they will do this is with smart meters. You can bet
that the off peak price wont drop much from what it is now but in an
attempt to *persuade* you to use energy at off peak times the peak price
will be a lot higher but the reason there is a peak time is because thats
when everyone needs to use energy.

> My current cost has let me reduce my total consumption by about 20%
but I cant see how to get it down any lower. My base load is around
700-900w and I have a daily peak between 4pm and 7pm which unless I choose
to have dinner and bath the kids at 9 or 10pm isnt going to change!!!