Re: UK energy smart meter roll-out is outlined

... and any 'average savings' are likely to be based on the assumption
that
your a proflicate consumer of energy.
Whereas, if you're *interested* in having an energy meter fitted, you're
probably someone who's already taken steps to reduce their energy usage...
so therefore the actual "average savings" of someone wanting one
( &
certainly early adopters) will be far less.

.... and anyone whos already got a current cost, owl or any of the other
consumer driver meters... well, other than improved accuracy over a the
clamp-meter variety, what's the expensive energy company version going to
tell you about your usage that you dont already know.  Whilst I'd like one
of these gadgets, since we've had a current cost we've turned down our elec
usage so much that frankly I dont see what else we could reduce.

The other interesting quote from the bbc article I think says all you need
to know about why the energy companies welcome this:
"The companies stand to make big cost savings themselves, with the
need for
teams of meter readers becoming a thing of the past."

So if this costs =A3340 and will somehow be recouped from customers through
charges, how are the suppliers going to do this to avoid you getting your
meter from supplier X (who then puts you on a higher 'recoup' tarrif) then
jumping to supplier Y?  Probably make you sign a 2- 3- or 4-year supply
contract which then traps you in while they jack up the prices.

2009/12/2 Andy Davies <dajdavies@xxxxxxx>

> 2009/12/2 craig
<craigc.lists@xxxxxxx<craigc.lists%40googlemail.co=
m>

> > > Just wonder who's going to end up paying for it all...
> > >
> > " Energy suppliers, rather than distribution networks, will
be
> responsible
> > for the roll-out of the meters at a cost of about =A3340 per
household.

> > They will be able to recoup the cost from customers through
higher bill=
> or
> > upfront fees, but competition between suppliers is expected to
ensure
> only
> > some of the expense is passed on."
> >

> Call me cynical but my guess is the consumer will end up paying for
> something that saves the energy company millions but at the average
savin=