RE: Re: unRaid - Media storage server solution

Well the conversation I was having with the guy was about running
unRAID on
a WHS install and using it to protect the media libraries (which are
generally pretty static) ... take a look also at FlexRAID which is similar.
*MYSELF*, I wouldn't go for hardware (or software) RAID given that arrays
are very vulnerable whilst degraded.

My views on Plex's video decoding have been expressed before so I won't go
over them again. :-D

WHS is pretty damn good for being easy to expand...

Phil

Served" forums ...
> there's
> > that and another one that I need to have a look at as well.
> >
> > It's a sort of "semi RAID" solution where you basically
generate
> parity
> > snapshots of data that doesn't change very often (such as music
> libraries
> > and movie collections) and the drives remain viable as standalone
> entities
> > (they can be individually read outside of the "array")
but it is
> possible to
> > recreate a failed drive from the parity snapshot. If you get two
> drives fail
> > then instead of losing everything all you lose is the data on
those
> two
> > drives...
> >
> > It's basically on my "to take a look at" list waiting
for me to have
> some
> > free time to take a shot at it - ahead of that is "Ultimate
Media
> Collector"
> > for the Popcorn Hour which is an "on the fly"
(dynamically) generated
> user
> > interface to your movies collection on the PCH rather than using
the
> > pre-generated ones like YAMJ and My Lil Movies Jukebox...
> >
> > Phil

(8TB plus)