Re: unRaid - Media storage server solution

  • Subject: Re: unRaid - Media storage server solution
  • From: "keyvan2r" <k1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 18:01:59 -0000

Thanks for the reply Phil. I am still undecided on the best solution
for me. WHS or unRaid or a windows box (XP or Server) with a hardware raid
(3ware or similar)card. Currently running a Buffalo NAS 2.1tb in raid5 and
a couple of usb 1.5tb ext drives running off it. Had it for 20 months now
and running out of room. I have not started with BD ripping yet and given I
will be buying mostly BD movies from now on storage is now an issue.
The buffalo gives me some problems on file permissions as I am running a
mac & pc clients. for some reason some files created by the mac's are
read- only for pc clients.
The HTPC's are for now both mac & pc - Plex is great for DVD and best
for tv series on DVD. DVDLobby is good for DVD and BD.
Whatever front end I settle on eventually - the server is important and
needs to be built with growth in mind.
Look forward to your views when you get a chance to look at unRaid.

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Phil Harris" <phil@...> wrote:

> I had that flagged up to me by a guy that I have been trying to
resolve a
> couple of WHS "funnies" with over on the "We Got
Served" forums ... there's
> that and another one that I need to have a look at as well.
>
> It's a sort of "semi RAID" solution where you basically
generate parity
> snapshots of data that doesn't change very often (such as music
libraries
> and movie collections) and the drives remain viable as standalone
entities
> (they can be individually read outside of the "array") but
it is possible to
> recreate a failed drive from the parity snapshot. If you get two
drives fail
> then instead of losing everything all you lose is the data on those
two
> drives...
>
> It's basically on my "to take a look at" list waiting for me
to have some
> free time to take a shot at it - ahead of that is "Ultimate Media
Collector"
> for the Popcorn Hour which is an "on the fly" (dynamically)
generated user