Odd behaviour from LW12 X10 micro modules

  • Subject: Odd behaviour from LW12 X10 micro modules
  • From: "leewild80" <muddyboots@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 08:40:46 -0000

Hi all

I've recently started fitting some LW12 X10 micro modules to some lighting
circuits in my house, which I am controlling from Comfort in response to
PIR-detected movement.

Initially I fitted 2 LW12 devices, and programmed these to addresses A1 and
A2, to respond to standard on/off commands. Replaced the wall switches with
momentary MK grid switches, so I have local control, plus Comfort also
turns them on when movement is detected on the relevant PIR, and then off
again a set amount of time after last movement was detected (in the order
of 10-15 seconds).
Device A1 controls a couple of 40w incandescent bulbs.
Device A2 controls some low-voltage downlighters with dimmable
transformers. I leave this set with a fair amount of dim, maybe 50%-ish.

These have worked fine for several weeks.

Last week I bought a third unit to control my upstairs landing lights in
the same manner. Programmed it to address A3.

I read on the LW12 instruction leaflet that the modules could be programmed
to also respond to all lights on/off etc and other extended X10 commands -
so I programmed all 3 modules to respond to these commands.

(The intention was to experiment with sending preset dim commands - so they
would turn on to different brightnesses when triggered by PIRs, depending
on time of day and whether the alarm was set or not - but I didn't get very
far and ran out of time!)

Anyway, since then, odd things have happened.
1) When I sent all "all lights on" command - all three units
immediately came on to full brightness, as expected. But when I sent an
"all lights off" command, only two of them turned off. I tried
this several times, and it's repeatable.
2) On several occasions, lights that are normally set to a lowish dim
level, have turned themselves on to full brightness. I *think* this has
happened when they are commanded to turn on, just as they are in the
process of turning off (ie slowly dimming to off). So they will have
received an X10 off shortly followed by an X10 on.

This odd behaviour only started to happen after I fitted the third module,
and enabled all three modules to accept the "all lights" and
extended X10 commands.

Has anyone else noticed odd behaviour with these modules ?
Any suggestions ?

Cheers
Lee