> Ian
> Are they dimmable?
> Rgds
> Peter

Yes.
Rgds
Ian

If you mean, 'are they dimmable using the same crappy voltage chopping
dimmers that you use with incandescent bulbs', then the answer is still
yes, just not as well.

Clearly, a system which slices the 240V AC into thin chunks really quickly
to vary the power delivered is as old fashioned as heating a bit of wire
until it glows. When LED lighting (or the next big thing again) takes off
properly, we'll be dimming on the low voltage side, or using some inherent
property of the material to do it.

Personally though, I don't use dimmers. I hate the bloody things - not
least of all because of the insistence of some folks (which included my
grandparents) to sit in near darkness rather a nicely lit room.

I get the light level I want (which is a very pleasant mix of point and
room effects) with a mix of small lamps and large floor standers. My PC
room has 5 lights - 11W CFLs in the 2 floor standers, 7W CFL in the splash
lights behind the monitors, and a 1.1W rated Blue LED strip under the desk
for effect. It looks gorgeous.

the sooner we ditch incandescents and move on to new technologies (and yes,
new dimmer technologies as well) the better.

I.