From: ukha_d@xxxxxxx [mailto:ukha_d@xxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
Ben Geach (UKHA)
Sent: 06 August 2009 12:15
To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ukha_d] [OT] VOIP services and Siemens Gigaset S685IP

I've been using the Siemens 685IP for over a year, connected to fixed BT
(POTS) line & VoIP via Gradwell (office VoIP) and then Sipgate.co.uk
(extra
personal line, using their pay as you go tariff).
Both the VoIP providers and the phones are excellent and had no problems
after initial set-up. What I like about the phone is that the base unit is
seperate and doesn't have a handset charger built-in, so you can mount it
where you like for best reception & access to Cat5 jack. The handset
charger
bases are very small and neat also.

I've just taken a look again at the menu on the phone and I don't think
there can be a different ring for VoIP and Landline, although it does say
which line on display when it rings.

Hope that help,
Ben

On Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 10:21 AM, ianh1000 <ianh1000@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi All,
>

> My kids have discovered the telephone and trying to work from home
during
> the holidays is driving me nuts as they hog the line and my mobile
reception
> is rubbish.
>
> I want to look at using VOIP to give them their own incomming numbers,
> considered using the router that o2 provided as it has VOIP options if
you
> hack it but I am worried it may not be reliable.
> I don't want to have to rely on any computers being turned on for it
to be
> working.
>
> So 2 questions:
>
> 1. I am condifering the Siemens Gigaset 685 IP I know some here use
it,
are
> you still happy? Can I make a VOIP call ring with a different ring
tone?

> 2. What would be a good VOIP service to use? I want it mostly for
incomming
> calls to a loal uk number if possible, I don't make any personal
> international calls and have a BT all inclusive plan on the land line.
If
> did want to allow it to be used for just local UK calls how cheap
would
that