[OT] VOIP services and Siemens Gigaset S685IP

  • Subject: [OT] VOIP services and Siemens Gigaset S685IP
  • From: "ianh1000" <ianh1000@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 06 Aug 2009 09:21:00 -0000

Hi All,

My kids have discovered the telephone and trying to work from home during
the holidays is driving me nuts as they hog the line and my mobile
reception is rubbish.

I want to look at using VOIP to give them their own incomming numbers, I
considered using the router that o2 provided as it has VOIP options if you
hack it but I am worried it may not be reliable.
I don't want to have to rely on any computers being turned on for it to be
working.

So 2 questions:

1. I am condifering the Siemens Gigaset 685 IP I know some here use it, are
you still happy? Can I make a VOIP call ring with a different ring tone?

2. What would be a good VOIP service to use? I want it mostly for incomming
calls to a loal uk number if possible, I don't make any personal
international calls and have a BT all inclusive plan on the land line. If I
did want to allow it to be used for just local UK calls how cheap would
that be?

Regards
Ian