Re: Selling an automated house?

  • Subject: Re: Selling an automated house?
  • From: "mouserdrip15" <groups@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 05 Aug 2009 13:08:08 -0000

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Tim" <tim_munn@...> wrote:

> What would be the best way to market a house with automation?
>
> Does anyone have any ideas? Estate agents around here have no clue
about automation!

Hi Tim

Yes, I feel your pain! I've marketed two properties with automation. In
fact I have one on the market at the moment:

http://tinyurl.com/l89pth

better pictures here:
http://tinyurl.com/mbpz5s

<cheap plug over ;-)>

The bottom line is "agents don't get it" and unfortunately
neither will the vast majority of buyers. In my case (with both properties)
we are not talking "DIY" automation either. This current house
has: C-bus lighting (all E2000 basic switching), flood CAT5 wiring and
centralised AV back to a node zero. It's all professionally finished and
all wiring was put in at first fix.

In my experience the trick is to explain the automation in terms of
benefits NOT features. So in the example of CAT5 in every room it's a case
of "and you can have broadband and home networking in every room"
not "oooh and its flood wired with CAT5, we're talking 2 miles of the
stuff and 16 points in each room".

The other key point is to ensure your automation can be removed with no
real effect on the home. Now that's of course not possible with c-bus
lighting but for node zero it needs to be as unobtrusive as possible. In
this property everything AV related can be removed and it will have no
effect on the rooms from a functional or aesthetic point of view. In
addition there is additional "normal" TV and phone points.

I would also recommend against too much reference etc it in the property
details. You will simply put buyers off!

Lastly the level of "desire" for automation will be driven by
your potential market sector. Don't expect Mr & Mrs 2.4 Children to be
even slightly interested, a professional couple might be different. The
style and value of the property also plays a key part, both mine are/were
very contemporary and finished to a high standard (Well in my eyes
anyway!). The automation was designed to compliment the design more than
appeal to the gadget lover.

In short don't lose sight of the fact that you (and us!) are niche and in
the minority. When selling a house you want to appeal to as many people as
possible so don't appeal to the niche!!!!

Something tells me all that wasn't very helpful ;-)

Rob