Re: Low-power home server

Ian Oliver wrote:
> In article <49E842EB.5000308@xxxxxxx>, Jim Noble wrote:
>
>> Just amused by the prospect of using a hot swap 2.5" to
3.5" adapter in
>> a 3.5" hot swap tray :-)
>>
> Ah, right, it's clear now that I've looked again. But I'm not sure if
that
> will fit the hot swap caddy.

Indeed, and thinking about it properly it probably won't put the SATA
connector in the right place either.

>> Yep. ISTR seeing a 2.5" to 3.5" adapter that also acted
as a heatsink.
>> I'll see if I can find it again...
>>
> That would be good. I have searched and failed. :-(

I think I must have been thinking about the "IcePAK" that WD
Velociraptor drives use. They are available in a form that puts a SATA
connector in the right place for a backplane, but possibly aren't
available separately from the drive! (unless you can find a scrap one on
ebay...?)

>> Hmm, might take you a while to gouge out enough space!
>>
> I also have an angle grinder ...

Sparktastic.

Jim