RE: Cbus Control of plug in lamps.

  • Subject: RE: Cbus Control of plug in lamps.
  • From: "Nigel Giddings" <nigel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 19:45:42 +0100

Hi Ben,

I have used 5A round pin plugs sockets for table lamps and standard
lamps.

I have run most back individually to provide each one individual
control, however, in the dinning room I do have two table lamps with 3
bulbs in each (6 bulbs in total) on the same channel.

If your room is big enough to have 3 lights on the same circuit you may
want to consider the possible load. If you are planning on some form of
energy efficient light you may as well use C-Bus relays, however if you
plan to use incandescent lamps you need to be careful of what bulbs are
installed if you use the 1A C-Bus dimmer modules as these will only
support 230W of power. If someone was to install three 100W bulbs (or
the fittings took multiple bulbs) you could exceed the dimmer rating. It
is recommended that 1A MCBs are installed between the Load and the
Dimmers which may offer protection but this could then result in
nuisance tripping...

I have found it better to install more powerful bulbs than required and
then to dim them to appropriate levels, something that you will fine
tune as you live with the space and get used to the surroundings.

I spent a long time trying to balance my lighting loads between 1A & 2A
C-Bus dimmers and 10A Helvar (controlled by C-Bus) dimmers...

HTH

Nigel