Buying PC bits - I just had to tell somebody...

  • Subject: Buying PC bits - I just had to tell somebody...
  • From: "pjqx" <tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2008 08:37:54 -0000

I was in a scummy PC shop on the Oxford ringroad buying a firewire=20
cable I needed for an install when in the corner I saw a dusty pile of=20
desktop chassis - you know the look, forlorne, stripped of components,=20
next stop the local dump.  I saw in the midst of this two=20
small "shuttle" cases. Well I have been harbouring thoughts of=20
downsizing my WHS onto an Atom based system (I have even bought the=20
atom) and I thought one of these cases might be suitable.  No PSU, no=20
RAM, CPU or drives - Mobo fitted to both.

I asked the guy in the shop how much - In my head I thought if I could=20
get the 2 for 15 or 20 I could make one decent case - I'd still need a=20
PSU but I'd be further down the road than I am now - How much do you=20
think he said..... =A3150 EACH!  I couldn't help myself and laughed=20
heartily for 5 minutes - He told me they had motherboards fitted, hence=20
the price - I asked if the worked or were guaranteed - NO, SOLD AS SEEN.

So if there are any millionaires out there who want to make a joker's=20
day you could pitch up to a run-down PC shop and spend =A3300 on 2=20
totally worthless chassis.

My search still continues for a suitable MicroATX chassis.=20=20

Tim.=20