RE: best HD media player to replace xbmc

> version), it takes a ridiculous amount of time (30 - 60 seconds
or so) to
> start playing a movie from my network (a common problem) but they're
> working on that

Yes, I can confirm Phils issue with ISOs/Vobs across a LAN.  If your files
are local or you are playing DivX/XviD/Music across a LAN then playback
starts almost instantly

> it from the little Apple remote and that's only effectively a six
button
> remote.

It actually has 12 controls though - by holding the 6 buttons..
http://wiki.plexapp.com/index.php/Apple_Remote

There's information on the forums about getting it to work with Harmony
and other remotes too, but I find I can do everything I need from the
Apple Remote.

> For TV timeshifting there really is no functionality at all at the
moment
> I'm really hoping for them to implement some sort of client-server
model
> on this one

It's one of the things I ask Plex project leader Elan in our interview
with him - see the question - "Do you ever envisage an XBMC back end
"Server Edition" with PVR capabilities that would feed XBMC
clients?" -

http://tinyurl.com/5c2y4o

Unfortunately it's not anywhere in their plans it seems.

Those without Macs remember to checkout the new "Atlantis"
version of XBMC
at www.xbmc.org (Windows, Mac or Linux) which, with the new MediaStream
skin looks identical to Plex.

M.