Re: 720P Projector - stop me!

On 22 Sep 2008, at 13:56, Mark McCall wrote:

> OK, looking for 10 reasons not to buy one of these...
>
> http://www.purelygadgets.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=3D9394
>
> :)
>
> I've auditioned it and the 1080p 2000, the 720P one looks
amazing=20=20
> enough to
> me.  Anyone else got one or recommend looking at anything else
in=20=20
> this price
> range?

I've got one of those AX200 projectors, and it's well excellent.=20=20=20
Quality is stunning, though I've got a 87" screen.  Downsides is
that=20=20
the blacks aren't that brilliant.

I would suggest having a look at the Sanyo PLV-Z5 and compare it with=20=20
the Panasonic.  Quality not as good, but blacks apparently are better=20=20
than the AX200.  I only got the AX200 as I've got a very bright
living=20=20
room.

Not bad at =A3615 inc VAT - http://www.projectorpoint.co.uk/projectors/Sany=
o_PLV-Z5.html
FYI - this shop sells the AX200 for =A3739 - http://www.royjowetthomecinema=
.co.uk/product/Panasonic-PTAX200-LCD-Projector.html

(Disclaimer, I've never brought from either shops, or seen the Z5)

Looking at Projector Central (excellent website, btw) - the Z5 seems=20=20
to have ceased production this month, so prices may crash in the near=20=20
future.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Sanyo-PLV-Z5.htm
http://www.projectorcentral.com/Panasonic_Home-PT-AX200U.htm
 (Note,=20=20
AX200U is US version, AX200E is Euro version I think - no difference=20=20
really)

Have a look at - http://www.projectorcentral.com/home-theater-multimedia-pr=
ojectors.htm=20
- note, I brought the HD65 the first time around, and had to give it=20=20
back due to the rainbow effects.  Much better projector than the
AX200=20=20
in every way - quality, blacks, everything - stunning for such a TINY=20=20
package and very cheap, but rainbow effects... ugh.

You may be interested in the discussion I had with other people=20=20
between the Z5 and the AX200 - http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.ph=
p?p=3D6711636

Can't think of 10 reasons why you shouldn't get a projector, but it=20=20
could be...

1) Cost
2) Cost
3) Cost
4) Cost
5) Cost
6) Cost
7) Cost
8) Cost
9) Cost
10) And I think I forgot one more thing... oh yes!  Cost.

At least it's a lot cheaper than an equivalent plasma TV!

Don't forget to check out how much a replacement bulb cost!  The
AX200=20=20
bulb is rated at a short 2,000 hours (3,000 in eco mode which isn't=20=20
really that noticeably dimmer) and I've used up about 190 hours after=20=20
5 months - mainly in eco-mode.  The SWMBO originally thought a=20=20
projector was a stupid idea and that I shouldn't get it, etc, etc.  I=20=20
got it anyway, planning to use it maybe once every week/two weeks.=20=20=20
But after the first viewing, she demanded to use it every day for her=20=20
soaps!  At least we agreed we'd pay half each on the replacement bulb.

Good luck and let us know how you get on!

Cheers - Piers