RE: [OT] Google Streetview car spotted

Oh purrrrleeeease! I think my life now comprises the most "geek"
content it
ever has! :-D

> Listen to any podcast

*cough* Whatcast? Oh - you mean that phrase coined by the Apple fraternity
and iTunes ... ahhh ... OK. ;-)

> these days - all the geeks have switched.
> Even "Mr Windows" Paul Thurrott uses a
> MacBook and iPhone.

Ahhh but they're not true geeks - a true geek remains true to "the
cause"
and brews up Heath Robinson solutions to problems that they can't afford to
(or are too tight to) "fix" by actually just buying the piece of
kit that
does what they want it to do.

Instead they chain together huge and unmaintainable assemblages of
not-quite-appropriate kit that they either had hoarded in the attic
"for
that day when it would be needed again" or were able to pick up so
cheap it
was a "bargain"(tm) and felt could be cajoled in some vague sense
of the
phrase to "do the job" (remember the ePods? The Fujitsus? The
DELL DDARs?
;-) Nuff said? :-D ) by being linked to the preceding and following items
of
kit in the chain by some kind of thought up on a fag packet
"interface" the
engineering of which would make some of the fixes that I used to implement
in the days of trying to keep Mark 2 Escorts alive seem positively over
engineered!

Buying an Apple product because "it does the job" is not the sign
of being a
geek - Apple products are no longer niche and geek market Mark - they're
mainstream and the people that buy them are style conscious geek wannabees.
(Now how about that for a scary thought - geekdom becoming chic and cool -
Jesus!)

> And its Function PLUS form, but then you know that already, you've
been
> a long time supporter of the Mac for home server

It was stable with firewire drives whereas Linux and Windows weren't - the
actual "form" had little to do with it...

...but even I have to admit that a little Mac Mini sat on top of three
ruddy
great big external drive enclosures did give me a satisfying feeling of
complete inappropriateness of the achieved final solution and so did fit in
with the pure geek ethos above ... after all if I'd been a true Applephile
I'd have bought an X-Server and a batch of X-Raid enclosures wouldn't I?
:-D

> and didn't you buy a Mac mini a few days ago :)

I did - yes - but I was feeling weak and low at the time and was
questioning
my own sexuality - well, plus the girl in the Apple Store in Southampton
was
exceptionally cute and I'm just glad that she didn't suggest buying a Mac
Pro or Macbook Pro because as a single man I'm just far too easily lead by
sweet smile and a well filled t-shirt that has "How may I help you
today"
plastered right across where any properly brought up man has no right to be
looking until at least the third date ... and that's the excuse I'm
sticking
to. ;-)

Oh - by the way - remember I built my nice "big" server early
this year (or
was it late last year) that was going to be able to grow in storage space
for a while? Bloody thing in now full so I'm going to have to splash some
cash now on taking SATA "outside the box" ... currently looking
at using the
following ...

1 off http://tinyurl.com/4suqoy
1 off http://tinyurl.com/3nu4to
4 off http://tinyurl.com/3anuyb
4 off http://tinyurl.com/5frnt9

...which should get me another 20 drive bays to fill and keep me in storage
space for another year or so. :-D

Which leads me on to a moan ... why the feck can't the muppets who design
connectors nowadays actually put some kind of locking mechanism on them?
(You can ignore the flimsy "lock" on SATA cables as that's about
as much use
as a chocolate fireguard). eSATA cables that don't latch, HDMI cables that
don't latch BAH!

/me shuffles off muttering something about "the world's never been the
same
since the travesty that was the SCART connector" and needing to pop
over to
Southampton Applestore again...

Phil

signature