Re: Audio Matrix Switcher.

  • Subject: Re: Audio Matrix Switcher.
  • From: "rb_ziggy" <rb.lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 17:56:11 -0000

Also, in the true spirit of HA, what are your 4 sources?

I originally intended to go down the separates route with a matrix
switcher.  However, I ended up with a PC based system a bit like this:

- Sources, CDs now ripped and stored on hard drive (well actually a
NAS unit now).  That removed a couple of sources.
- Radio, DAB units feeding into line-in on the PC.  I could do 2 of
these (with my set up) or any other external device with line level
output and IR control.
- Internet radio.  Gave up on this in the end in favour of the above
as I didn't use it - but available.

- 2 soundcards in pc providing 2x3 (i.e. 6) line level stereo outputs
feeding a 6 x stereo poweramp. (The expensive bit)

- PC provides the control of the switching (any source to any output).
- PC does pre-amplification through soundcard (i.e. its the volume
controller)
- All software is freeware (trickier now as the core application -
xLobby - is no longer supported but available).

Removes the need for the matrix switcher, allows for 'better' remote
control from zones.

Just a thought.

Richard