RE: Introduction

Hi,

you can check on these systems for HA on a mac:

http://www.shed.com/
http://www.perceptiveautomation.com/indigo/
http://www.protowrxs.com/HA/
http://www.machomestore.com/catalog/
http://www.x10.com/products/x10_ck11a_mac.htm

I use x-10 modules for automation but are not reliable.  I think insteon
modules supposed to be much better today (and pricey)
Each insteon module is also a repeater of the signals.

There are many home automation protocols, now every other day we have a new
company with product releases promising automation heaven.
If I had to start from scratch all over again, I will try a product with
years on the market to assure me it will be there tomorrow and I will have
support.  Another main feature would be web access interface to control and
check on status.

For home video and TV, I wired coaxial for HDTV signals from air antenna.
Component video for two of the TVs for HD video.  Also each TV terminal has
2 cat5 in case of future upgrades like hdmi connections.
To distribute media content I am planning to use Front row out of my mac,
and have a IR extender to use a programmable remote to send signals back to
the mac with a "next generation" http://tinyurl.com/55dmso   Nice thing
about the NG is that you don't need IR cables to each device, you install a
battery like trasmitter in your universal remote and converts it into a RF
remote without the need to point and shoot to any IR spot.
For audio distribution, also using a mac, for each zone an airport express
and control itunes using remote for iphone/touch ipod.

I hope to get all finished sometime before the year end and post pictures
and comments.

Hope this helps you,

good luck

Juan . ///