Any electronic experts?

Silly question knowing the people on this list :D

Anyways, I am having some problems that are driving me mad and I'm
looking for help from the group. As some of you may know I am trying to
build a lighting generator. So I bought this kit from Quasar.

http://www.quasarelectronics.com/1006.htm

Now it's a simple kit. Very simple. Only 5 components. As usual though
the instructions are useless.

http://www.quasarelectronics.com/kit-files/smart-kit/1006.pdf

So I bought a kit and built it as per the instructions. The build went
well and I was happy. Except it doesn't work. Thinking I may have
applied too much heat to the IC, I bought another kit and tried again,
this time using an IC socket to stop possible damage. This one was built
even better and I was well pleased... except this one doesn't work
either. I can only assume I am missing something here. I really don't
know what the hell is going wrong with it. I've built things far more
complicated than this that involved hundreds of components, but here is
this little kit.. driving me mad.

I have connected Positive mains to pin 6, negative mains to pin 5. Pin 3
is connected to Negative to the lamp and pin 4 to Positive to the lamp.
I connected pin 1 to the sound input positive and pin 2 to input
negative (tried this both ways btw). The input is from my laptop playing
a sound file. When I connect a speaker across pin 1 and 2 I get sound ok.

For all I can see this should be working, but it's not. What the hell am
I missing? I am sure all my joints are OK and there are no shorts across
any contacts.

I know it's hard to diagnose like this but Quasar are no help at all and
I'm at a loss. I would also be happy to pay someone to take a look at
it!?!?

Any help appreciated.

Marc