RE: Plex

> Well the 1.66 GHz Core 2 Solo one that we have at work was=20
> fine for playing DVDs back across the network using Plex=20

Oh yeah, that's fine.  But the Plex guys say you'll need 2Ghz + for modern
1080p content (as in your original question).

> I'm assuming that I don't have the thing properly configured=20
> as I didn't get it to pull down artwork for the DVDs=20

You need to set each share's content type (Movies, TV etc) then scan it -
Move onto the share under VIDEOS then hit "C" to bring up context
menu.
Then "Set Content" and pick say IMDB for your movies shares.  You
can also
set Plex to automatically scrape the info for new content each time it
starts up (or manually scan instead from context screen).

> 1) I couldn't get the IR remote to work but I think ours is broken,

IR works fine.  Must be your remote.

> 2) I couldn't work out how to get it to show the movies spread
across=20
> all my network shares as a single homogeneous "library",

Going into MOVIES rather than VIDEOS shows your movies from all your shares
in one big library.  Hitting the Right or Up arrow key gives you the
settings screen where you can choose from several different views -
"Media
Preview" is currently my favourite.

> 3) I had to go into a context menu to play a DVD from the covers
screen=20

I can't comment here as it's something I don=92t use, sorry.

> 4) Once you started a movie playing off the network it can take a=20
> loooong time for it to start playing,

Couple of seconds here (wired LAN).

> 5) I had a couple of DVDs that it didn't like playing off the
network=20
> that I know PowerDVD and WinDVD have no issues with.

No idea.

> But the thing is, it does *LOOK* superb ... the rest is
functionality=20
> which should be something that comes out in the mix...

Unlike Popcorn hour or similar, Plex has a huge feature set that's
constantly updated.  The biggest downside is the cost though.  It's OK for
the AV Room but =A3500 is not something I want to pay for every TV in the
house.

M.