RE: Plex

> > I couldn't work out what the
> > keyboard controls were either.
>
> http://wiki.plexapp.com/index.php/Keyboard#Keymappings
>
> > would a 1.8GHz one be meaty
> > enough to do DVD playback at 1080p or would I need to 2GHz one?
>
> You need the 2GHz one.  New Mac mini models are months over due too,
so
> it may not be a good time to buy Phil.

Well the 1.66 GHz Core 2 Solo one that we have at work was fine for playing
DVDs back across the network using Plex ... had a couple of brief glitches
but I think that was the Devolo things getting saturated rather than the
Mac
maxing out.

I'm assuming that I don't have the thing properly configured as I didn't
get
it to pull down artwork for the DVDs on the server that didn't already have
any and I had no movie synopsis (but then again, as I said, I didn't spend
much time configuring it) ...

OK - so the major problems I had ...

1) I couldn't get the IR remote to work but I think ours is broken,

2) I couldn't work out how to get it to show the movies spread across all
my
network shares as a single homogeneous "library",

3) I had to go into a context menu to play a DVD from the covers screen (or
drill down through the VIDEO_TS folder and play the .IFO file directly),

4) Once you started a movie playing off the network it can take a loooong
time for it to start playing,

5) I had a couple of DVDs that it didn't like playing off the network that
know PowerDVD and WinDVD have no issues with.

But the thing is, it does *LOOK* superb ... the rest is functionality which
should be something that comes out in the mix...

Phil

signature
database 3424 (20080907) __________

http://www.eset.com