Problems with Displaymate adapter

  • Subject: Problems with Displaymate adapter
  • From: "Neil Ball" <neilball@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2008 13:38:59 +0100

I'm stuck trying to get a USB-DVI Displaylink adapter working as I
need it
and am hoping that someone on the list may be able to offer some help. The
Displaylink was bought to mirror my XP PC monitor output on my 50"
plasma
via Onkyo AV receiver. The unit has installed ok, I've upgraded to the
latest drivers and I use a DVI to HDMI adapter to connect to the Onkyo amp.
However I cannot get any output when trying to mirror the primary display -
note that the Onkyo will only accept TV resolutions so I'm using 1280x720
on
the Displaylink. When using the advanced options in the Displaylink tools I
get taken to the standard Windows XP Control Panel-Display dialogue and it
appears that the second monitor is not enabled. Enabling the 2nd monitor
then turns on Extended Desktop mode which while displaying perfectly on the
50" plasma. As soon as I switch off the extended desktop then I lose
the
signal to the plasma and the 2nd screen greys out. I'm either being very
thick and not spotting how to turn on the 2nd monitor without the extended
desktop or the Displaylink simply will not operate in this way. Can anyone
give me any pointers before I give up and return the Displaylink for
refund?

Neil B.