Re: Lightning Generator?

I was going to suggest a strobe light too, but since you're after a
*specific type* of lightning...
;-)

How about a US one with a voltage converter?

HTH,

Tim.
p.s. I hope you're going to post the obligatory "flash warning"
notices...
;-)

On 9/1/08, Marc Fuller <groups@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Rob,
>
> Yes that's right, but how to get the strobe light to act like
lightning.
> Even if the power for it is fed through some kind of sounds to light
> unit, all it will do is flash for a few seconds.. not very lightning
like :D

> I've found a Sound to light generator from Quasar that will handle up
>  600Watts. I think I may try one of them with a Photoflood bulb.. see
> what that turns out like.
>
> It's a shame but the UK doesn't have such a big thing about Halloween
as
> the US. They seems to have tons of stuff like this to buy ready made !
>
> cheers
>
> Marc
>

> Rob Iles wrote:
>

> > So, it's basically a strobe light, and a thunder sound-track CD?
> >
> > The CD player feeds it's output signal (audio) to the strobe
(which
> > presumably fires immediately, creating a flash), and to the
speakers (+BIG
> > Sub-Woofer I'd imagine). The only "clever" part in the
setup is a
> > (variable?) delay of X seconds, so that you see the flash well
before you
> > hear the rumble, ala real storm.
> >
> > I guess one of these
> > http://www.cybermarket.co.uk/ishop/923/shopscr791.html
> > <http://www.cybermarket.co.uk/ishop/923/shopscr791.html>
> > (no affiliation, it's a bright 60W strobe that turned up in a
google search)

> > or one of these if you want to blow the budget
> > http://www.cybermarket.co.uk/ishop/923/shopscr7693.html
> > <http://www.cybermarket.co.uk/ishop/923/shopscr7693.html>
> >
> > Google throws up a few suggestions for "audio delay
circuit".

> > Shouldn't be too hard to roll your own :)
> >
> > R.
> >
> > 2008/9/1 Marc Fuller <groups@xxxxxxx
> > <mailto:groups%40serenitymeadow.com>>
> >
> >  > Hey Jon,
> >  >
> >  > OK, what I am after is something like this..
> >  >
> >  > http://www.yardhaunter.com/halloween_lighting_lightning.html
> > <http://www.yardhaunter.com/halloween_lighting_lightning.html>
> >  >
> >  > Ideally in a ready to go package from a UK supplier but
that is looking
> >  > very unlikely as I can't find any :D
> >  >
> >  > I have found various sound-to-light controllers that
*might* do what I
> >  > want, but not sure.
> >  >
> >  > thanks
> >  >
> >  > Marc
> >  >
> >  >
> >  > Jon Whiten wrote:
> >  > >
> >  > >
> >  > > Can you describe what you are after - perhaps a link
to the US one. I'm
> >  > not
> >  > > sure I understand what you mean.
> >  > >
> >  > > Thanks.
> >  > >
> >  > > Jon
> >  > >
> >  > > On 01/09/2008, Marc Fuller <groups@xxxxxxx
> > <mailto:groups%40serenitymeadow.com><groups%40serenitymeadow.com>
> >  > > <mailto:groups%40serenitymeadow.com
<groups%2540serenitymeadow.com>>>
> >  > wrote:
> >  > > >
> >  > > > Hey Guys,
> >  > > >
> >  > > > Looking for some help. Halloween is not long off
and I want to start
> >  > > > getting prepared. I am trying to source a
lightning generator, but it
> >  > > > seems all the ones available are in the US,
expensive AND 110v.
> >  > > >
> >  > > > I have seen a few home made versions but these
seem to favor
> >  > > > incandescent bulbs rather than stobes. Plus
maplin seem to have
> > stopped
> >  > > > selling color organs and I can't source one
anywhere (not high enough
> >  > > > powered for this application anyway)
> >  > > >
> >  > > > So, anyone got any ideas on where to get or how
to make a decent
> >  > > > lightning generator ?? I'm sure someone on this
list must be able to
> >  > > > come up with something!!
> >  > > >
> >  > > > Look forward to some ideas.
> >  > > >
> >  > > > Marc
> >  > > > .
> >  > > >
> >  > > >
> >  > > >
> >  > >
> >  > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> >  > >
> >  > >
> >  >
> >  >
> >  >

> > --
> > Rob Iles
> >
> > RMIDevelopment
> >
> > Web: http://www.rob-iles.co.uk/rmidevelopment
> > <http://www.rob-iles.co.uk/rmidevelopment>
> > Twitter: http://twitter.com/Rob_Iles <http://twitter.com/Rob_Iles>
> > Skype: rob_iles
> >
> > <TEST>text "rob" followed by your message to
967482 from an Orange phone in