Re: Lightning Generator?

Hi Rob,

Yes that's right, but how to get the strobe light to act like lightning.
Even if the power for it is fed through some kind of sounds to light
unit, all it will do is flash for a few seconds.. not very lightning like
:D

I've found a Sound to light generator from Quasar that will handle up to
600Watts. I think I may try one of them with a Photoflood bulb.. see
what that turns out like.

It's a shame but the UK doesn't have such a big thing about Halloween as
the US. They seems to have tons of stuff like this to buy ready made !

cheers

Marc

Rob Iles wrote:

> So, it's basically a strobe light, and a thunder sound-track CD?
>
> The CD player feeds it's output signal (audio) to the strobe (which
> presumably fires immediately, creating a flash), and to the speakers
(+BIG
> Sub-Woofer I'd imagine). The only "clever" part in the setup
is a
> (variable?) delay of X seconds, so that you see the flash well before
you
> hear the rumble, ala real storm.
>
> I guess one of these
> http://www.cybermarket.co.uk/ishop/923/shopscr791.html
> <http://www.cybermarket.co.uk/ishop/923/shopscr791.html>
> (no affiliation, it's a bright 60W strobe that turned up in a google
search)

> or one of these if you want to blow the budget
> http://www.cybermarket.co.uk/ishop/923/shopscr7693.html
> <http://www.cybermarket.co.uk/ishop/923/shopscr7693.html>
>
> Google throws up a few suggestions for "audio delay
circuit".

> Shouldn't be too hard to roll your own :)
>
> R.
>
> 2008/9/1 Marc Fuller <groups@xxxxxxx
> <mailto:groups%40serenitymeadow.com>>
>
>  > Hey Jon,
>  >
>  > OK, what I am after is something like this..
>  >
>  > http://www.yardhaunter.com/halloween_lighting_lightning.html
> <http://www.yardhaunter.com/halloween_lighting_lightning.html>
>  >
>  > Ideally in a ready to go package from a UK supplier but that is
looking
>  > very unlikely as I can't find any :D
>  >
>  > I have found various sound-to-light controllers that *might* do
what I
>  > want, but not sure.
>  >
>  > thanks
>  >
>  > Marc
>  >
>  >
>  > Jon Whiten wrote:
>  > >
>  > >
>  > > Can you describe what you are after - perhaps a link to the
US one. I'm
>  > not
>  > > sure I understand what you mean.
>  > >
>  > > Thanks.
>  > >
>  > > Jon
>  > >
>  > > On 01/09/2008, Marc Fuller <groups@xxxxxxx
> <mailto:groups%40serenitymeadow.com><groups%40serenitymeadow.com>
>  > > <mailto:groups%40serenitymeadow.com
<groups%2540serenitymeadow.com>>>
>  > wrote:
>  > > >
>  > > > Hey Guys,
>  > > >
>  > > > Looking for some help. Halloween is not long off and I
want to start
>  > > > getting prepared. I am trying to source a lightning
generator, but it
>  > > > seems all the ones available are in the US, expensive
AND 110v.
>  > > >
>  > > > I have seen a few home made versions but these seem to
favor
>  > > > incandescent bulbs rather than stobes. Plus maplin
seem to have
> stopped
>  > > > selling color organs and I can't source one anywhere
(not high enough
>  > > > powered for this application anyway)
>  > > >
>  > > > So, anyone got any ideas on where to get or how to
make a decent
>  > > > lightning generator ?? I'm sure someone on this list
must be able to
>  > > > come up with something!!
>  > > >
>  > > > Look forward to some ideas.
>  > > >
>  > > > Marc
>  > > > .
>  > > >
>  > > >
>  > > >
>  > >
>  > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>  > >
>  > >
>  >
>  >
>  >

> --
> Rob Iles
>
> RMIDevelopment
>
> Web: http://www.rob-iles.co.uk/rmidevelopment
> <http://www.rob-iles.co.uk/rmidevelopment>
> Twitter: http://twitter.com/Rob_Iles <http://twitter.com/Rob_Iles>
> Skype: rob_iles
>
> <TEST>text "rob" followed by your message to 967482
from an Orange phone in