Re: New 1u rackmount case with 4 x Hotswap SATA

  • Subject: Re: New 1u rackmount case with 4 x Hotswap SATA
  • From: "noughtomate" <balraj_jassal@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 08:39:33 -0000

Hi Paul,

It's going well, but not quitre complete at the moment.

To answer your question, the EPIA 12000G EN (Passivly cooled) fits
well. The case is extremly tight and consideration needs to be given
to cooling. I'm not sure if the EPIA 15000 with it's fan would fit.

The EPIA EN by default only has 2 SATA connectors, so to harness the
cases full capabolities I'm researching RAID cards for the other 2
Hot swap drives.

The case supports with 2 x 2.5" SATA or IDE drives, so given I want
to use SATA for Hotswap, I have Windows Home Server booting off a
2.5 IDE.

Given this case can hold 4 x 3.5" SATA's, 2 x 2.5" (Either), 1 x
Slim CD/DVD drive, 1 x CF card in a AV Rack Mount depth it's quite
an amazing peice of kit.

I've found Mini-ITX.com's recommended Rack slide rails for Travla
cases don't work well, so I'm seeking alternatives.

One slight complaint, is that the cases two fans do run noisy, but
given my Node 0 is under the stairs, I'm not too worried about that.

As I said, it's the only case I know that is so flexible and doesn't
require a full depth Rack.

I'm happy with it, but the real test is when it's all closed up up
and storing real data 24x7. I'll need to consider heat monitoring
just to be safe.

Cheers,

Balraj