RE: Room occupancy detection and door opening/closing - 1-wire or wireless solution?

Paul,

> as my lounge sofas don't have removable cushion pads that I could put
anything under

In that case you could try using a pulsor http://www.sureaction.com/pulsor.htm
glued to the underside of the Sofa frame. They are very sensitive and I'm
sure they'd detect someone sitting down. The disadvantage is that unlike
the pressure sensor they only detect the change not the constant presence
i.e. the would detect as someone sat down or stood up but not while they
where sitting down.

> - I like the sound of the "curtain" ones you mentioned,
>- is this a specificmodel/type or PIR designed for this use?

Yes, their designed to monitor entrance rather than the full room itself,
much like breakbeams but without needing a device on either side.

Have a look at ;http://www.pyronix.com/php/web/productDisplay.php?im4=P%20I%20R&id=96&id2=187&conf3=KX18DC&cat=KX%20Series
If you click the "full technical Specification" link on that page
you'll see the actual zone coverage.
This ones still designed to be mounted to the side of the entrance wall,
but you can get others that point directly downwards.

Marcus