Re: Oven use/kwh/annum (sort of on topic)

Gareth Cook wrote:
> As far as i can tell, the sticker says consumption of
"5,7kW" - note the
> comma. Does does mean 5 or 7kw (its a double oven), or 5.7 kw, or
5-7kw.
> It's on a 32amp circuit (and needs its) so that wire can cope with up
> 7360watts.

It'll be 5.7kW (max).

> New ovens appear to use less than 1Kw, so tempted to switch.

They also take an age to heat up.

> Anyone have any good guesses as to how many hours (therefore kwh) they
use
> their ovens for ? If I say 3hrs per week, i could save £100 a
year just by
> buying a new oven. Unless my calcs are way out.

Your oven won't use 5.7kW all the time! (Unless you're in the habit of
running it on max with the door wide open and adjusting the aircon to
achieve the right cooking temperature... :-) Once it's up to speed it
should only need to use enough electricity to overcome any heat loss.

Presumably the latest models can get away with much lower energy
consumption because they are all highly-insulated and therefore leak
less heat. (Wonder how long they take to get back up to temperature when
you open the door...) You have to wonder if all those energy efficiency
gains are lost because of the extra time spent pre-heating though...

Jim