Re: Planning on a DIY NAS

TBH, unless you need the functionality of the PC, I can recommend
getting an icy box.

http://linitx.com/viewproduct.php?prodid=12131

Has performed flawlessly for me with two 500GB WD Green drives, with a
total power usage of <20w peak.

Cheers

Stuart

<paul.watkin33@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Moving to a Windows Home server has left me with 4 spare 250Gig
> > drives which I plan to turn into an additional NAS drive for the
> > movie collection.
> >
> > I do however have a couple of questions I hope people can help
with

> > 1. Looking for a Mini ITX board powerful enough for the job but
> > extremely low power and preferably fan less
> >
> > 2. I am contemplating using FreeNAS can this be put on a CF Card
and
> > run from there??
> >
> > 3. If I use Free NAS do I have to careful about powering the
drive
> > down?? It won't be on permanently as no need for instand access
> > movies during day etc
> >
> > Any info greatly appreciated
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > Paul

> Limited Time Offer - Free iPhone VAT Calculator
> http://berble.com/index.php/component/content/article/109

Stuart Poulton
HPC Architect (Research Computing Services), IT Services, University of
Leicester, Leicester, LE1 7RH

Tel: 0116 2231016; Fax: 0116 2231283; Email: stuart.poulton@xxxxxxx

Time Higher Education University of the Year 2008