Re: Laptop/netbook with Windows for only £200....help!

  • Subject: Re: Laptop/netbook with Windows for only £200....help!
  • From: Ian Oliver <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 14:55:02 GMT

In article <gfjdd7+tacb@xxxxxxx>, Noel_pilot wrote:
> I need to find a laptop or netbook, with windows xp, ideally new for
> around the £200 mark, ideally within about £25 or so.

It's Windows that will be your problem. It runs like a dog from most
SSDs and really needs a HD due to the install size. It also struggles a
wee bit in 512MB of memory and really needs more CPU than a single core
atom.

> It's only for very light web browsing, letter writing and storing a
> few digital pictures by someone who wont push it at all.

All of which can be done using the Linpus Linux on the Acer A110L,
which can be had for £180 inc vat and delivery. I got one for my wife
and she loves it, and Daughter happily does her homework on it using
OpenOffice.

Ian Oliver
Sunny Leeds, UK
Using Java on Tini for control via Dallas 1-wire

Limited Time Offer - Free iPhone VAT Calculator
http://berble.com/index.php/component/content/article/109