Re: OT Windows Home Server

  • Subject: Re: OT Windows Home Server
  • From: "Paul Bendall" <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 14:36:36 -0000

Most corporate VPN's wouldn't allow this setup as it would be
possible for a dodgy website to use your bridging to get onto the
corporate network via your VPN.

When you authenticate with a VPN client it will change the routing
table (which you can view before and after with "route print" at
the
command-line). The default route then becomes a virtual NIC
controlled via the VPN. Some times it is possible to add a static
route for your internal network. But again most coprporate VPN
clients would drop the VPN if the routing table changed.

All is not lost as you may have a SSL VPN which does things
differently. Or you just use the WHS on your home network when you
are not using the corporate VPN

HTH

Paul

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Steve Morgan" <smorgo@...> wrote:

> To be honest, I'm not entirely sure how local network access is
done.

> With the company I used to work for, if you were connected to the
VPN, the
> machine could not access any resources on the local network.
>
> With this laptop, I can access machines on the local network
whether the VPN
> is connected or not. There's a setting in the VPN software 'Allow
local LAN
> access' but I've just checked the config and it's not set! So,
I've no idea
> why I'm able to connect to machines at home while I'm connected to
the VPN.
> However, if I go into My Network Places/Entire Network/Microsoft
Windows
> Network, my workgroup is listed alongside all of the other
workgroups and
> domains exposed on the company network.
>
> It's a Cisco VPN client.
>
> Anyway, as a consequence, I get simultaneous access to the local
and company
> networks, so the backup can still run even if I'm connected to the
VPN.

> As long as you can access machines on your local network if the
VPN is
> disconnected, you can still take advantage of WHS, though.
>
> Just to be clear, I don't need to be connected to the VPN for WHS
to work.
> It works whether I'm connected or not.
>

> Steve Morgan

Behalf Of
> paul_watkin
> Sent: 14 November 2008 09:41
> To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
> Subject: [ukha_d] Re: OT Windows Home Server
>
> Hi Steve,
>
> Many thanks for the reply sounds like I shall be nipping out to
get
> one later on.
>
> You say in your message "Importantly, it also configured to allow
> access to the local network." I assume you mean you have set it
up
> such that it can see your home workgroup as well as the work
domain
> it's a member of. How do you do this??
>
> I assume WHS only does the back up if you are disconnected from
the
> VPN??
>
> Regards
>
> Paul
> --- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Steve Morgan" <smorgo@> wrote:
> >
> > Paul,
> >
> > I do exactly this.
> >
> > I have my home machines in a workgroup: 3 Vista, 1 Windows
Server
> 2003 and 1
> > Windows Server 2008 and the WHS box.
> >
> > I have my work XP laptop which is part of a domain and connects
> work via
> > a VPN. Importantly, it also configured to allow access to the
local
> network.
> >
> > All these machines have the Windows Home Server connector
installed
> (with
> > the exception of the WHS server, obviously).
> >
> > They all have access to WHS and all are backed-up automatically
at
> night.
> >
> > As with most things in Home Server, it just works.
> >
> > Steve Morgan

Pro