Re: Popcorn Hour

Paul Gale wrote:

> what remote control options does it offer - I presume there's a
standard remote of some sort but does it offer anything else for HA remote
control?

There is a remote bundled with the unit, but its pretty basic (it also
has a nasty rubbber back which grips well but leaves black marks if you
have light-coloured sofas! beware!)

The HA options are limited - it does contain some kind of cut-down web
browser and flash player, as you can use it to view Google Videos, RSS
feeds, YouTube etc although this appears to be hard-coded to go to a
particular portal. It may be possible to edit this, to visit locally
served pages and media streams, but I've not investigated this. SEe this
URL for more details:
http://www.networkedmediatank.com/viewtopic.php?t=26

There does appear to be some kind of SDK available on
http://www.mspsite.com
for developing your own plugins.

There is a Samba server available, so it can act as a basic NAS device
if fitted with a hard drive, and I've already mentioned the BitTorrent
client. It can also detect UPnP devices on your network, and play
content from them.

> Did you buy yours from the US or a European distributor?

I bought mine direct from Popcornhour.

> Can you let me know where you got it from for £100

Popcornhour sell them for $179 (~£60) - add on postage and customs
charges and it comes to about £120

> Can you network this media tanks?

If you mean do they come with an RJ45 ethernet port, then yes.

Cheers

Neil
www.purleyhosting.com