RE: metal supplies (aluminium) for HA projects

  • Subject: RE: metal supplies (aluminium) for HA projects
  • From: "Keith Doxey" <ukha@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 09:54:22 +0100

The first KAT5 end panels were made by a local precision engineering
firm
from plain aluminium sheet.

The second batch were made using the blank panels that came with the cases
(obviously didn't have a supply of those for the first batch !)

The current end panels are made from anodised aluminium sheet by a local
sign company and then silk screened.

I recently bought some plain sheet aluminium for a car project from another
local engineering firm. Just look in the yellow pages under precision
engineers, or drive round the local industrial estate. Any of the
engineering firms will have offcuts and will usually be more than willing
sell off a few scraps in exchange for a couple of beer tokens :)

Some will even bend sheet for you as well if needed. I once built a
heatsink
for an amplifier (4 x 150W) using sheet aluminium which was guillotined nad
bent for me by as local sheet metal company. Don't know why I bothered with
a fan because it never got warm let alone hot even when thrashed. Was quite
a heavy amp though :)

HTH

Keith