RE: UKHA Mailing List - Future. Volume dropping month by month

  • Subject: RE: UKHA Mailing List - Future. Volume dropping month by month
  • From: "Nigel Giddings" <nigel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 08:58:28 +0100

I'm not sure measuring the number of posts represents the number of
people =
involved or the amount of 'useful' information transmitted...

=20

As has been mentioned by others many more ways of communicating have
appear=
ed during the lifetime of the list and I would suggest a number of the
'sho=
rt conversations' that used to occur probably take place over IM or
somethi=
ng similar...

=20

I still believe UKHA_D is a worthwhile source of information having
receive=
d good advice and suggestions in the past, and I hope given a little as
wel=
l.

=20

I do feel that the UKHA_D community could be developed and encouraged but
i=
n a lot of cases that falls to Mark which is in many ways unfair and I can
=
only imagine how time consuming it must be. But again I'm not sure that
wou=
ld increase the number of messages on the Yahoo group.

=20

Thinks I would like to see:

=20

1.	Re-instatement of the HA Meetings, Nationally and possibly Regionally
if=
numbers were high (or low) enough.=20
2.	On the back of the Meetings I would like to see more demonstrations /
le=
ctures. I only attended one of the HA meetings but the lectures where a
hig=
h point for me... I think some beginners sessions, old chestnuts about
cabl=
ing a house, types of cable etc etc as well as demos of Kit such as Sonos,
=
XLobby, C-Bus xAP etc etc etc=20
3.	It would also be good if these could be recorded and made available as
P=
odcasts / Videocasts so others could learn from them and they could be a
re=
ference point. Mark's video shorts are a great way of getting ideas and
pro=
ducts across.

=20

Maybe if things were to become more multimedia it would be less daunting
fo=
r may beginners, allow those interested to learn, and even help with WAF
as=
demos my elicit some support for our goals...

=20

I have been a member for a number of years now and wouldn't suggest the
lis=
t is going down hill in any way. I think HA has, in some areas, become
more=
mainstream. An example is Sonos (=A3400 per zone?), but on the flip side t=
here is XLobby which could be cobbled together for almost nothing. If it
co=
uld be seen in action and people were encouraged, supported and shown how
i=
t can be done. Other areas that provide real integration are XBMC, how
many=
people have seen how good this is in real life and again how cheaply it ca=
n be achieved (re-con X-Box =A340? Existing media storage).

=20

The great thing about UKHA_D is that it continues to appeal to people with
=
a vast range of ability, how many people on the list could set up a
reverse=
proxy, but there are enough to show those who don't how to do it, and more=
importantly why it should be done... I think the list also provides a lot =
of unbiased advice (in most cases at least (Idratek seem to have a mole in
=
the camp ;-) )) and this sort of advice is invaluable.

=20

Bottom line is, Mark keep up the good work, and if time allows let's look
a=
t using some more of the available delivery methods to encourage more
parti=
cipation.

=20

Nigel (Still not finished the HA in his house...)

=20

=20