Re: PC Power Supplies

The jury is still out on whether my board is knackered :-/

Against the odds Maplin actually had the cables I needed on the shelf
and having fitted them the CPU fan now spins on power-up, and the
light on the optical drive comes on. Unfortunately that's *all* that
happens...

I've cleared the CMOS, or at least tried to via the jumper, the lights
on the keyboard all come on when power is first applied to the mobo. I
also can't detect any hard drive activity, and nothing appears on the
screen. No POST beeps either.

I've unplugged everything bar the CPU and it's just the same, and I've
tried an alternative monitor in case the old crt I have wasn't
compatible.

Any ideas? I guess I can pull out the cmos battery for an hour or so
to make sure the settings have gone, but anything else I can try?
Remove the cpu?

Thanks,

Tim.

On 5/6/08, Tim Hawes <timsyahoo@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Oops, I'll find out if I've b*ggered it up later tonight then :-(
> I tried a couple of times before I'd spotted that the 2nd connector
> might be needed. The manual just said "ATX power supply" and
"plug-in
> the 20-pin ATX connector", which I have/did. The 2nd connector
was
> only mentioned in passing, and just to say what it was, not whether it
> was needed... After some post-event googling, I find there are a
> variety of different sub-types of ATX supplies. Bl**dy
"standards" !!!