Re: PC Power Supplies

From: "Tim" <timsyahoo@xxxxxxx>
> Great, thanks guys.
>
> Just to confirm, my existing power supply has a 20-pin connector only,
plus
> the usual 4-pin ones for drives etc. The square 4-pin mobo connector
is
> halfway across the board from the main ATX one.

Yeah- I have a couple of boards like that. I think it was due to increased
power demands from AGPx4 and higher cards.

> Since I need to extend the ATX connector anyway, perhaps I can get a
20-pin
> to 24-pin adaptor and separate out these last 4-pins.  I'll have to
check
> the cable lengths.

That's an idea but you need to make sure that the connector can be split
off
cleanly- i.e. it's meant to rather than hacking at it with a sharp knife.
(i
have the scars from similar stupidity)

> Just one last question, would you expect the mobo to boot-up without
this
> 4-pin connector in place?

Not 100% sure of that- if it was a PCI graphics card then maybe. This bit
is
more of a worry though-

> > > Do I *need* this 4-pin supply ("Aux 12V" ?)
connected? I am guessing
> > > so as nothing appears on the monitor, no hard drive spins,
no keyboard
> > > lights, and indeed no POST beeps either :-(

I would expect the psu fan and hard drive to spin up.

Cheers,
Bro