RE: PC Power Supplies

Great, thanks guys.

Just to confirm, my existing power supply has a 20-pin connector only, plus
the usual 4-pin ones for drives etc. The square 4-pin mobo connector is
halfway across the board from the main ATX one.

Since I need to extend the ATX connector anyway, perhaps I can get a 20-pin
to 24-pin adaptor and separate out these last 4-pins.  I'll have to check
the cable lengths.

Just one last question, would you expect the mobo to boot-up without this
4-pin connector in place?

Many thanks,

Tim.

tend to come with
> wider
> > than normal "motherboard connectors" - the last
"block of four" break
> away
> > with a little pressure, to plug into the extra socket.  could be
> something
> > completely different / irrelevant - in which case, just ignore me
-
> thought
> > I'd mention it just in case....
> >
> > best of luck.
> >
> > R.
> >
> > 2008/5/5 Tim Hawes <timsyahoo@xxxxxxx>:
> >
> > >   Hi all,
> > >
> > > I'm still staggering from obstacle to obstacle with my music
server
> PC...
> > >
> > > I now have all the bits, or at least I thought I had - my
Socket A
> > > mobo has a 20-pin ATX connector, and only now, do I see it
also has a
> > > 4-pin connector labelled as "Vcore" in the
translated manual. My power
> > > suply doesn't have this 4-pin connector. From a bit of
googling it
> > > appears my mobo is newer than my PSU.
> > >
> > > Do I *need* this 4-pin supply ("Aux 12V" ?)
connected? I am guessing
> > > so as nothing appears on the monitor, no hard drive spins,
no keyboard
> > > lights, and indeed no POST beeps either :-(
> > >
> > > Assuming I do need it, is there any problem in using an
adaptor cable
> > > to take 12V from an optical drive molex connector? (e.g.
> > > http://linitx.com/viewproduct.php?prodid=11473)
> > > The PC is made from salvaged parts - I'm happy to splash out
on a new
> > > PSU once I know it'll work, I'm just trying to limit
expenditure in