Re: Drobo & DroboShare - In-Depth Review

  • Subject: Re: Drobo & DroboShare - In-Depth Review
  • From: "pjqx" <tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 02 May 2008 21:11:12 -0000

Hi Dean,  Did you go for the DroboShare as well.   How does it
perform - Is it as easy to use as advertised (we have some dumb
users), does it look as cool as it does in the pictures?

I have heard it described as "slow" - care to comment - TBH it
wouldn't really matter as the app I have it pencilled in for isn't
speed critical, but it would be nice to know.

I can feel myself wanting to buy one, though I don't need one -
Crazy!!!

Tim.

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Dean Barrett" <dean@...> wrote:

> My Drobo has just turned up - nicely packed and a nice looking bit
of kit.
> Looking forward to having a play tonight !!
>
> Starting with 2 x 750gig's...
>

> Dean.

Behalf Of
> Chris Hunter
> Sent: 01 May 2008 22:15
> To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: [ukha_d] Drobo & DroboShare - In-Depth Review
>
> Many thanks ... am very tempted to go Drobo ...
>
> BTW, our Time Capsule (to which we'd want to connect the Drobo) is
currently
> proving a right pain ... lots of messages & imperfect working with
a mix of
> Ethernet & Airport connections ... the iMac won't work Wireless if
it is
> connected to the Time Capsule via Ethernet, and if I try to connect
the iMac
> to Time Capsule Wirelessly, they lose touch & I have to restart
the
Time
> Capsule, etc, etc ... the MacWorld review mentioned various
problems with
> Time Capsule, and said to be sure to have the latest software
updates ...
> but we're right up to date (well, two days ago), and still no
joy ...
> plus, linking via Time Capsule to our old G4 desktop running Tiger
&
> OS8.6 is proving a step too far (have also tried Target Disc mode
via
> Firewire, but it fails, with the iMac claiming no connection) ...
>
> Chris
>

> On 1 May 2008, at 21:13, Andy Davies wrote:
>
> > In case it's of interested I came across this from someone who's
> > actually using it with a Mac -
> > http://hivelogic.com/articles/2008/04/regarding-backups
> >
> > 2008/4/28 Chris Hunter <cjhunter@...>:
> >> Interesting review, interesting device ... when I went there
few
> >> weeks back, the Data Robotics web-site mentioned the Drobo
&
Time
> >> Machine being compatible & great together ... so wonder
if the
team
> >> has a view, or even has had a chance to try them together ??
> >>
> >>  Chris

last
few
video,