Re: Planning Ring Mains and Circuits

If you're doing the cable runs, best speak to your intended
electrician
*before* you put any cable in -- they will have to certify that they either
put them in or "supervised", so you're likely to reduce your
field of
willing electricians if the cabling is already in the wall & plastered
over.

Talking with someone that understands both the regs/normal way of doing
things AND the HA stuff is probably a top idea.  Probably still a good idea
doing some additional background reading.  Then you are at least better
equiped when you talk to the spark about the fusebox as he (/she) is less
likely to see the logic in some of the things you want to do unless he too
has HA'd his own home (tracey's suggestion for radials over ring finals is
one example).

jon

On Sun, Mar 23, 2008 at 2:39 PM, Ben McCormack <
yahoogroup@xxxxxxx> wrote:

>   Jon
>
> My plan is to try and do lots of the cable runs and chasing etc and
> then use a proper electrician for the new fuse box etc.
>
> Was going to speak to Ben Addison about it all.
>
> Just trying to think about the overall design and cable runs.
>
> Ben
>

> On 23 Mar 2008, at 14:31, Jon Wilkins wrote:
>
> > ** Disclaimer - I'm not a electrician, just a householder that's
> > done some
> > reading **
> >
> > - I dont think there is a socket limit per circuit, other than
what
> > would be
> > sensible to keep total current drawn below the circuit's
protection
> > rating
> > at the fusebox (32A for a ring final, 20A/32A for a radial,
IIRC).
> > - Often it's suggested to have fridge & freezer on their own
> > circuit(s) -
> > idea being you dont want these to go off if something else trips
> > your RCD
> > while you are away.
> >
> > Also, assuming you are in England or Wales:
> > - This would be classed as "notifiable" -- meaning
there is a legal
> > requirement for either you have to go through building control or
> > get in a
> > part-p registered electrician
> > - If you're intending to DIY the original re-wire you need to
learn
> > up on
> > the wiring regs & building control side of things.
> > - Even if you are just going to DIY some of the HA later in the
> > future then
> > it would be a good idea to read-up know so you understand what
you
> > can/can't
> > do without the hassle & expense of involving your council's
building
> > control. You can then keep this in mind when the electrician or
you
> > designs
> > the original re-wire.
> >
> > Question about re-wires often come up on the forum at
"diynot.com".
> > Might
> > be worth a look - they likely wont understand the HA side though
and
> > some
> > will vociferously suggest you should get a spark to do it all,
but
> > others
> > will give lots of good advice. (no connection, just read it
> > occasionally &
> > have learned a lot from it)
> >
> > jon
> >
> > On Sun, Mar 23, 2008 at 2:02 PM, Ben McCormack <
> > yahoogroup@xxxxxxx <yahoogroup%40thinkinghouse.co.uk>>
> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi All
> > >
> > > I am starting to think about the planning of the ring mains
within
> > the
> > > house. Lighting will probably be an automated system (CBUS)
so the
> > > wiring for that is all taken care of.
> > >
> > > The whole house will be gutted and I am intending to run new
Ring