From: ukha_d@xxxxxxx [mailto:ukha_d@xxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
Vargster
Sent: 29 February 2008 09:29
To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ukha_d] Email and Exchange

If all you need is a mailserver with POP3, does it need to be SBS? Or even
Microsoft based?

I've used Mercury/32 mailserver, an excellent freeware mailserver, for the
last 5 years, without a hitch. It does smart hosting (will collect all your
mail from various other (like your ISP/Hosting co) sources, and then store
it ready for collection), pop3, imap and and is pretty good at antispaming.

I've just switched the server over to Linux (Ubuntu Server 6.06 LTS), which
now runs a mix of Postfix/Dovecot/Fetchmail/Popfile to do the same thing.
No
costs or licensing issue. There are various, easy to follow, guides out
there on the net, but I cobbled my own together if you'd like a copy...

I also ran/run SquirrelMail to do webmail, which is handy at work!

On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 7:26 PM, ReynoldsB <brian.g.reynolds@
<mailto:brian.g.reynolds%40talktalk.net>
talktalk.net>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am looking into Small Business Server 2003 for my new server but can
> only
> find OEM versions.
>
> Am I as a non company allowed to buy and install an OEM version or do
> need
> a full version? Never did understand OEM...
>
> The reason I want SBS 2003 is for the POP3 connector for email, but
what
> else could I use?
>
> I have been running SBS2000 for a number of years now as a Domain
> Controller
> but now I have an adopted family I would like them to each have their
own
> email addresses when they log on in their profiles. A problem I now
have
> is
> that TalkTalk will not provide me with a fixed IP so I can not as yet
> (till
> I bin TT!) get the "exchange" to work which is why I am
asking what else I