Re: Water Butt Solar Pump

  • Subject: Re: Water Butt Solar Pump
  • From: "Paul Bendall" <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 14:27:59 -0000

Thanks to all those who have replied.

I have found the Oase Solar Modules with associated battery and=20
fountain pump. However, at the price point of just the solar panel I=20
am thinking I could get more for less:

- Oase Solar Module 35, a 35 Watt Solar Panel at =A3490. However, I=20
can find 90W panels for slightly less

- Oase Solarsafe 41, a 41 AmpHour Battery at =A3390. Again, I can find=20
a deep cycle battery of 150+ AmpHours for the same price.

So here is my thought process. The water pump would be on for=20
relatively short periods 30mins maybe once a week. The 90W panel=20
charges at 5Amps, so even if I assume 50% efficiency for 10 hours=20
over 7 days, that would be around 150Ah?=20

I find a 12v pump and run for 30 mins and ensure I don't go below=20
50% battery charge. That would be 75Ah or 900 Watt Hours?

A lot of pumps seem to be around 350W so from the above could I run=20
a 12v version of one of these for 30 minutes from a battery that is=20
charged for 7 days by a 90W Solar Panel?

Paul

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Simon Coates" <simon@...> wrote:

> Paul,
>=20
> A boat bilge pump will be too powerful - even a small one can pump=20
alot of water very quickly (but with quite low pressure).  You would=20
need an large/expensive solar panel to run it.
> Best thing would be to use something that is low flow with high=20
pressure - there are some small solar powered pond fountains that=20
might be suitable.  Might be worth adding a float switch so that the=20
pump  doesn't run dry - otherwise you'd have to find a self priming=20
pump.