Re: Quick electrical question...

On Mon, 9 Jun 2008 08:21:51 -0500, you wrote:

>I'll be officially moving to the US in a couple of weeks, and want to
>take what I can with me...
>

>So, if I have something that requires a 9v/750ma supply, but cannot
find
>exactly that spec in a US 2-pin, am I ok to go up in the ma, on the
>basis that the equipment will only draw the ma that it requires?

Correct.

>I also have a laser printer that requires 240v / 4A ... for that I
>assume I'd need a 2-pin step-up transformer, but the highest rated I
can
>find on CPC only outputs 240v / 1300ma ... am I missing something?

You want an auto transformer.  In this sort of power they are
usualy rated in watts (or AV), so you need a 1kW one.  It is going to
be big and heavy!  Not many places sell ones that big, and because of
the weight you may want to buy it in the US.

I believe that RS do such items.

Mind you - a printer that uses 1KW is a mighty beast in itself!

Regards,
Harry.